Page Buttons

Friday, April 22, 2016

Happy, Scrappy Sewing Machine Cover

I'm so excited that I finally get to reveal a little bit of my recent secret sewing with you.  This project is one that I've procrastinated on for quite some time.  A cover for your sewing machine is super useful for keeping dust out, and I'm so glad I finally made one for myself.


I really am a creature of habit, and sometimes I just have to work through new things in my mind before I tackle them, and that was certainly the case with this project.  I knew that I wanted to do some improv appliqué, which would require the use of some interfacing (scary, right?).  When I finally got down to it, it turns out that it was easier than I thought it would be, and I'm thrilled to share the tutorial with you!


I decided to use this ahhh...mazing Pencil Me In bundle from Fort Worth Fabric Studio for the main body of my cover, and pair them with some of my favorite scrappy bits.  You can find this gorgeous bundle right HERE!  Since this project is smaller, I pulled some of the smallest pieces out of my scrap jars.  This is really the kind of project that you can customize and have fun with, though.  Make it your own!  By the way, if you love improv, but aren't sure how to do it, check out my full tutorial for improv piecing HERE.

The first thing you need to do is measure, measure, and then measure some more.  The cover is constructed with three parts- one main panel that "lays over" the front, top, and back of the machine, and two side panels.  You don't really want to have to fuss when you're pulling your cover down over your machine.  I think easy on, easy off is best, so you want to measure generously.   First measure the height of your machine and multiply by two (for front and back).  Then measure the depth of your machine from front to back.  Finally, measure the width from side to side.  Be sure you account for any parts that stick out from the main body of the machine, and add seam allowance !

My machine sits down in a cabinet and is used as a flatbed, so it only sits about 8.5" tall, and it is about 7.5" deep across the top.  Rounding up the height to 9" and rounding the depth to 8," my cover needed to be 26" long, and 18" wide.  Theoretically, you should be able to use the same height and depth measurements to determine the size for your side panels, but I would measure them, just to be sure!  I determined that my side panels should each measure 9"x 8."

Now for the fun part!  Make your top and side panels however you choose.  Think of them as tiny quilts and get creative!  I decided to piece a strip of each of the prints in the bundle, and add a little improv strip along the edge.  This strip will be the bottom on the back of the cover.  This takes a little bit of planning if you are using directional fabrics, like some of these text prints.  Keep in mind that the piece lays over the machine from front to back, so that means that the text has to be placed properly so that it is legible on each side of the machine.  If you orient the text all in one direction, it will be upside down on one side.  Press your main panel, and trim it to size if necessary.


Creating the appliqué for the front was probably the part that caused me the most angst (besides the measuring), but it really was a breeze once I got into it.  First, find a free clip art picture that you like, or draw something yourself if you're talented like that.  I found a cool sewing machine silhouette for mine.  Just make sure that you size the clip art so that it will fit properly on the front of your cover.


There were a couple of things I didn't like about the silhouette I found;  namely, I thought the base was too narrow, and there were some rounded parts that I wanted to square off.  You can see where I used a black marker to fill in the base, the hand wheel, on the spool of thread, and on the little part at the top where the needle is threaded.  Once you have your shape exactly the way you want it, glue it to a piece of cardboard, let it dry, and cut it out to make a template.  You can see that I cut off the narrow parts, like the needle and the crank on the hand wheel.


Time for improv!  I pieced some scraps into a panel that was just slightly bigger than my template.  Of course, you can choose to do any appliqué shape you want (or none at all). You can choose to use a solid fabric for this step, too!


Once you have your improv panel, apply interfacing to the back, ironing the "bumpy" side of the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric.  Interfacing gives the fabric some stiffness to make it easier to work with, and will keep the edges from raveling, since I decided to leave the raw-edges.  I turned my fabric template over and traced around it lightly with a pencil on the interfacing.  (clearly, my template is a piece of a Christmas box- that's Santa, lol!)


Just cut around your shape and place it onto your main panel, wherever you want it!  I use basting spray to keep it in place while I stitched around it, but you can use pins instead if you'd rather.  I stitched right around the outside of the shape, and went around it twice to give it a sketchy
 look.

Then piece and trim your side panels to size.  I decided to add lots of color on mine, and made my panels completely from improv bits.


The next step is to decide on your lining fabric.  I used a giant black and white polka dot, and cut pieces in exactly the same size as my three panels.  I cut some scrap batting to size as well, and basted my three little mini quilts!  I hate basting spray, so I always baste my quilts with safety pins, but I keep a can of spray just for little things like this, where I'm not worried about the fabric shifting.


Time to quilt these however you like.  I did a pretty tight stipple all over on all three panels, and quilted right through my sewing machine appliqué as well.  


To assemble your panels, lay your main panel over your machine from front to back, and stand one side panel up in place.


With your walking foot, you'll be sewing the edges together, all the way around the side panel.  Flip the side panel, so that right sides are together, and carefully sew down the first side.  When you get almost to the edge of the first side, stop and align the top edges together.  Repeat this until you have the edges all sewn together.


When you get almost to the edge, stop and align the top edges.  Repeat this until you have the edges all sewn together.  It can get a little bit thick, but it isn't difficult.  Just take your time, and when you're finished, it will have a nice, boxy shape.  Then just sew the other side panel the exact same way!


To finish those inside edges, I made a binding strip measuring only 2 inches, and sewed it exactly as I would bind a quilt (tutorial HERE).  I cut my binding strips on the bias of the fabric to make it easier to ease around those corners, and though it definitely isn't perfect, it works.  Those corners get tight, but I didn't stress too much over it, because it is on the inside of the cover, after all.  Finishing the edges on the inside helps the cover keep its crisp boxy shape, and adds such a cute little detail.


The very last step is to sew a binding around the bottom edge of the cover, and I chose to go with the black word search fabric.  For this binding strip, I used a standard 2.5 inch strip, and I think it adds the perfect finishing touch!  Again, when you're sewing over that inner binding, it can get a little bit thick, but just take your time.


And voila!  All finished!  Just looking at all of my fun, scrappy bits of fabric against those grays and blacks puts a smile on my face every single time I walk into my sewing space!




I am absolutely in love with this little cover, and I can't believe I didn't make one sooner.  It is a perfect blend of form and function.  I hope you'll try it out!


30 comments:

  1. Love the scrappy bits against the text neutrals, awesome choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Sadly, my sewing machine doesn't have a place it gets to live permanently, but this technique would work great for covers for a variety of things. Nice explanation, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly! Thanks for doing such a sweet project with our Friday Bundle! Terrific way to use some new fabric plus some stash! You are so talented! XOXO ---Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really very cute. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, it's so cute! Love the way you finished the seams on the inside. Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally need to do this, not just to keep the dust out but also to prevent the cat from getting to the thread. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Preeti.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent tute for a winning sewing machine cover! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable sewing machine cover! That project has been on my to-do list for almost 2 years now. Eventually I'll get to it. Of course, by that time, I'll probably have my machine dropped into a table and then I'd have to make a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the great tips in your tutorial! To make a cover has been on my to-do list for a verrrryyy long time, now I might give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the tutorial. As posted before, this has been on my to-do list for longer than I care to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in the process of making a cover for my machine. I blogged about it as my April OMG. I just have to finish up a little stitching and I can call it a finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cover! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderfully creative machine cover! It is so pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the cover and am going to make one for my machine. Easy instructions that I shouldn't have trouble following.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful and fun sewing machine cover!!! Thank you for sharing your process with me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cover is such fun, and you've inspired me to try one, too, instead of covering my machine with any random piece of fabric. Thanks from both me and my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been wanting to make a cover for my machine, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Your tutorial is not only easy to follow but I LOVE the whole project, right down to the scrappy sewing machine appliqued to the front! Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to make a cover for my machine, but wasn't sure how to go about it. Your tutorial is not only easy to follow but I LOVE the whole project, right down to the scrappy sewing machine appliqued to the front! Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this cover, looks so sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kelly, that is just the cutest sewing machine cover! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the tutorial, Kelly. This is so pretty, and I've been wanting to make one for ages. I've been puzzling over attaching the end pieces, but now you've solved the problem for me. I'm really grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. #sewcute !! :) I wondered if you have any tips on an opening for the handle??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! No, I'm sorry. I only use this cover when my machine is in my cabinet, and the handle on my machine folds down, so I never have a need for a hole in my cover for it. Good luck with that though!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  24. PS. I don't mean to be incognito... When I hit "publish", it shows me as my email, but then when it actually posts, it shows "unknown". My name is Ali, and now that I've found your blog, I'll be stalking nearby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Kelly, I bookmarked this tutorial several years ago and have thought about it ever since. Your tutorial is great with such detailed instructions and is also the best that I have found on the net. I am finally going to get around to making my Janome a "one of a kind" sewing machine cover. My machine also sets down in the table so I will not be putting a place for the handle to come through in the top section. I personally like the idea that using this style cover will not allow dust to get into my sewing machine. Thanks again. Jackson @ jacksonw@etcmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’m going to make a cover while the new sewing room is getting primed and painted! Exciting

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing this idea. I made one with some modifications. I wish we could share the pictures of what we’ve made. That would be so much fun to see what others have done with your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips