Page Buttons

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Toes in the Sand

This is a very busy weekend at our house!  My birthday is today and our wild thing will be ten tomorrow, so with everything going on, I knew that I needed to go ahead and finish up this quilt and post about it!

Oh, how I wish we lived closer to the ocean so that the photos could really show off this quilt.  This quilt just belongs among the sand and crashing blue waves of the beach!  Since Tennessee is decidedly inland, backyard photos will have to suffice.



This quilt is a monster queen size- 80x100" and as quilts of that size go, it was a beast to get it quilted.  Part of the issue is that most of the fabrics are so light in color that the quilting thread blends right into them.  I ended up with two crossovers in my stippling, which I hate.  Thankfully, the cause of them also makes those crossovers practically invisible.


I do love the wide stripes on the backing.  I think it's a great way to break up such a big quilt back, and makes it seem more manageable.


One of my favorite parts of this quilt is the scrappy binding.  I think it keeps the fabrics from getting framed in.  The beach is such a beautiful and expansive sight, and I think the lack of framing keeps the quilt feeling like the beach.


I decided to name this one Toes in the Sand, and although creating it wasn't without its challenges, it certainly makes me want to hit the beach and do just that!


22 comments:

  1. it is even more beautiful quilted. I hate cross overs too, but I'm learning to "let it go" and not worry about them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gorgeous finish! Those bigger ones are harder to tackle, but so worth the effort.
    I love the ocean too! I'm so fortunate to live very close, a 15 minute walk away. It does mean we almost always have a breeze. I'm not complaining, but it makes it tricky to get an outdoor quilt photo with the quilt flapping, haha. Let's just call them 'action shots' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this quilt. The colors are so perfect, it looks so beachy. The back is as wonderful as the front! Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!

    Love the quilt and the name does it justice. Thanks for sharing!
    Sandy A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Such great colors, really soothing. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! It's a beautiful quilt and definitely reminiscent of the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! It definitely screams for a day at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like the back more than the front. So soothing. And happy birthday to you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I hope you have wonderful and fun birthday plans. This quilt is so soothing and pretty. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Maybe you could find a lake with a beach, but I think your photos are fabulous the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes without reading bout this quilt I cab see sea and sand straight away, a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Kelly! Hope you & your family are enjoying a festive weekend. You have such a knack for naming your Quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely quilt, also a wonderful Birthday.
    Gruß Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday - now that your blogging is done - enjoy the rest of the day. Thanks for the posts on your beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finished quilt -- sure wish I could join you with your Toes in the Sand! Happy belated birthday. You are a year wiser, right??

    ReplyDelete
  16. As you know I just LOVE those colors together!
    Great new quilt you have made!
    Ì read this on sunday night, but I hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to you! Finishing a quilt is a great way to spend your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just finished a huge queen quilt too! So hard to quilt, but did it! Love the back stripes! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely ... does make me wish to sink my toes in that sand and gentle foam on the edges of the waves ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Belated Birthday! Beautiful finish. That IS a beast, but you did great. Getting a feel for how big your deck really is, lol! You are right about the thread...sometimes I can't see it at all if I match too well. P.S.....that back is amazing. I think it is definitely reversible:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday and wow what a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing at Linky Tuesday! Freemotion by the River

    ReplyDelete
  22. A Very Happy Belated Birthday to you and your wild one!! I know both of you had a wonderful time! The quilt looks so summery, makes me want to jump in the car and drive to the beach :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips